Sunday, May 13, 2012

Zoe's Preschool Screening



On Friday Zoe went to our school for the preschool screening.  I was a bit nervous because what do they ask a 3 year old at a preschool screening?  And, does Zoe know enough for her to get in?  (Hahaha...I know Zoe is really smart, but you still question it.)  I had no idea that schools screen kiddos so young.  I had two days to prep Zoe because it was the first time we have EVER dropped her with a stranger to her and she is very slow to warm with most people.  She was so excited!  She wanted Shaun to pack her a lunch in the morning (the screening was only 45 minutes long, so no lunchtime, but whatever floated her boat, we did :) ), she HAD to bring her Dora backpack, water bottle, juice box, and she wanted to bring toys, but I said no.  Shaun met us with the group of kids and parents because it was at his lunchtime, so the timing was perfect.  She was a big girl and walked all the way to the classroom, but the closer we got, the more clammed up she became.  Oh no! was my only thought.  When we got into the classroom, she wanted Shaun to pick her up and she wouldn't let go of him.  She started to cry and one of the teacher's had to hold onto her while I dragged Daddy out of the room.  I thought, "Oh great!  We have the ONLY crying child!"  The other kids were familiar with the classroom because their siblings have attended there, so they were all comfortable.  Jeez!  We sat in the lounge for the 45 minutes and about 15 minutes in, one of our colleagues/friends went to check on Zoe.  She didn't see her in the room, so it panicked both of us.  Her and Shaun went to check the playground because she said that she thought she saw her on the playground.  Shaun and Deni hid in the bushes to spy...too funny!!!  And they were caught by our preschool administrator.  Even funnier!!!  She reassured us that she was doing fine and stopped crying.  Phew!!!  When I went back to pick her up, she was happy and had an art project for me!  The teacher said she cried, but the typical separation cry and did very well.  Yeah!  I am sure she was still very shy, but the teachers have seen it all, I'm sure.  She told me all about her day...Mrs. Barbara read a story about the ocean, she made an art project and they let her use a glue stick, they sang "Slippery Fish" (one of our favorites at home :) ), she checked out the dramatic play area, and she even told me about some of the kids.  I know she will do just fine in school. 
The screening is to see if the kiddos will suit the teachers classrooms, so a couple of the teachers need to see how they interact and click.  After the screenings, they can basically put "dibs" on each kid for their class.  This preschool program is a special ed preschool, but they take "typicals" (typically developing kiddos) to balance the classrooms and have some role models.  I am hoping that this will give Zoe the opportunity to develop acceptance and tolerance of others who are different, plus...how can you go wrong with teachers who are credentialed in early childhood education?  The program is wonderful, so I am so excited for her to go.  She will also go to the park and rec preschool two days a week near our house, so she gets a balance.  I am really looking forward to Zoe's growth this upcoming year!

No comments:

Post a Comment