Zoe's life has dramatically changed now that she is a three year old. She is really adjusting well to helping out with her baby sister, but we have seen her get a little more sensitive lately. We are working through it and every time she has a meltdown, we try to explain how each situation could have been better and believe it or not, she has been very responsive. If she finds herself in the same situation that has previously made her upset, she tries to figure it out before getting so upset. She is so independent at home, so Shaun and I expect a lot from her, so we take a step back to sometimes to realize she just turned three.
Besides the occasional meltdown, she is such a wonderful, creative, goofy little girl. She is such a sponge and learns everything so quickly. Lately, she has become very inquisitive about how things work or where they come from. Her baby "Kayla" is always by her side and when Kylee needs a diaper change, so does Kayla. When Kayla is "sleeping", I have to use a quieter voice, so I don't wake her baby.
Memorizing the books we read or her favorite episodes of Umizoomi or Bubble Guppies blows Shaun and I away! Grandma was over one day and Zoe went to town on a book we have had for a week and just amazed Grandma. Today, she actually made up a story as she looked at the pictures in a book. We are practicing writing her name and she is doing so well! She almost has it down...an "e" is very hard!!! My mom bought a couple books that pictures had to be cut and pasted and she figures it out and does very well with little help. I still do the cutting because I am not too sure she is ready to cut on lines.
In the morning, she can dress herself completely and even comb out her hair. Her cups and bowls are low enough for her to access herself, so if she wants cereal, she gets the bowl and spoon ready and I do the rest. If she needs water, she can get a cup and with supervision, we let her get water from the fridge on her own. When I shower, I make sure Kylee is down and she gets to watch one of her shows. She knows the rule...don't open the door for anyone. It still makes me nervous, so I keep the monitor on her, so I can hear. I told Shaun we need to get a top lock for my own peace of mind.
She loves to eat Cheerios, tri tip, noodles, green beans, corn, and anything Mommy or Daddy is currently eating. She loves to race to eat her vitamins. Fruits and snacks need to be frequently rotated because she goes through stages quickly. Lately, she has been very good about ordering for herself at restaurants, which is HUGE! She is very slow to warm with others, so it is very hard for her to say anything to strangers or people she doesn't know very well, but once she gets to know you...watch out!
Outside play is becoming more fun for all of us as Zoe is starting to get the hang of riding her trike, scooter, playing on her swings, going down her slide all by herself, trying to play baseball (thanks to our friends' boys who are already all stars at the age of 3), playing kickball, and learning to shoot hoops. We have gone to the park more often lately, so she is starting to play more at the park and climb and slide.
This summer she is going to start school for sure this time ;). She will go to a shorter version of her preschool, then start in the fall going Tuesdays and Thursdays. Also, she is going on Friday to a preschool screening at our school for Mondays and Wednesdays. This is a special ed program with kiddos that have anything from a speech impediment to Autism or Down Syndrome. Zoe will be what is called a "typical" in the class. Basically, the idea is she is a model to the other students. There are usually 3-4 typicals in each class. I think that this is the best opportunity for Zoe to learn acceptance and tolerance of others who may not be just like her. We are really looking forward to it, but the screening must be done without parents in the room. That is a nail biter for me because she has never really had to do anything like this and we have never had to leave her with a stranger before. Yikes!!! Either it will go really well or not so much. We'll see!!! We started prepping her tonight for that and she seems very gung-ho. We definitely cannot believe we have a three year old already, but are so excited to see what the year will bring!
Wednesday, May 9, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment