Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Swimming Snafoo

Well...Zoe has been adapting to many new things lately, but we had a swimming snafoo this week. She started her "Tiny Tots" swim lessons Monday, which means that Mommy and Daddy no longer swim with her. We thought that she would do well, considering that she swam for her past 2 instructors better than for Mommy and Daddy most of the time. Wishful thinking!!! She started classes on Monday with one other little girl in her class and she cried for the whole 30 min. lesson! We tried talking to her and nothing stopped her. The teacher did not help either because the only thing she did was say firmly, "Stop crying Zoe, stop crying Zoe." Over and over and over again. It got to the point that the teacher in me wanted to pull her, but I know that sometimes Zoe just needs time to adjust to people. It took another mother who was watching to open my eyes to it a bit more. She said, "Well she could be speaking to her a little more kindly." For another mom to notice, that got me a bit upset. So, Tuesday we tried again and she was still super upset and crying hysterically. Again the teacher told her to stop crying, meanwhile rolling her eyes. That pretty much did it for me and I pulled Zoe out 15 minutes into her lesson. I called the swim manager later to figure out a solution to this problem and she gave me a few options. I decided to get her private lessons for the rest of the 2 weeks. She started this morning and Shaun can happily report that she did AWESOME! Her new teacher is great with little kids and she did so well. She chased after toys in the shallow end, kicked, scooped, and blew bubbles. The only thing she did not want to do is jump in the pool at the end of the lesson. Hey! I will take it. It made me really wonder if we were going to have a hard time with her and teachers, but I am convinced it was this young girl whose inexperience with young children was the snafoo. Phew!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment